Wednesday 28 October 2015

Module 2: Task 4b - 'Developing my own Special Interest Group'

I am in the process of creating an online Special Interest Group (SIG). Having never hosted an SIG before, I am eager to discover how doing so will aid the development of my question for enquiry and to see what other benefits it brings. Once I have completed the process of setting up my SIG, I shall publish a post on my blog containing all the relevant information for my fellow BAPP students and other blog followers to join.


How does your SIG compare to other groups or communities that you are a part of in the workplace? 


I feel that in my online SIG I can discuss information that I wouldn't necessarily be able to discuss with the communities that I am part of in my workplace. (As some topics that would would be interesting for discussion could affect the work of my fellow cast members in some form or another.) The information that I would be presented with from groups or communities within my workplace would be specific to my area of work. Whereas information from my online SIG (which would be made up of Fellow BAPP students) would present information on a wider spectrum given the variety of work and experiences that they would contribute.  

How will you use your SIG? 

Having studied through Module 1, I understand and appreciate the significance and usefulness networking can have on developing my learning. Evidence of this can be seen in the text I wrote in my post 'Module 1: 'Task 3d - Critical questions and issues that emerge'. 

"I think sharing ideas and communicating with others constantly shifts my way of thinking, planning, and practice. A vast majority of what we learn is through communication, so it would be wrong to suggest that the sharing of ideas and communicating didn't affect my way of thinking. I believe that, generally speaking, we are all nurtured and encouraged to share ideas and to communicate. I have mentioned the term 'mutual inspiration' in previous posts. I believe that working with others can often help the improvement in quality of my work, frequently listening to and learning from other people's opinions and experiences can improve my creative insight and inspire me to persevere with my work. "

I shall use my SIG to aid the development of my question for inquiry by frequently posting questions or comments, photos, videos to stimulate ideas for discussion. I shall collect information from the opinions and responses made by the SIG members and use it for analysis for the development of my question for inquiry. I shall maintain communication with my SIG members as it will function not too dissimilar from a Social Networking group which thrives on communication.  

How will you evidence the shared practice within your own professional inquiry process?

In order to evidence the shared practice within my own professional inquiry process, I shall first of all archive the discussions and comments that are made. This way should there be any technical issues I should still have most of the information available to me. I shall then write about the topics and discussions raised within my SIG on my blog, using the opportunity to further reflect on how the SIG is aiding the development for my inquiry. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Granger - Good point about archiving what is on your SIG - I have had quite a few useful comments on mine so far and wouldn't like to lose them! Look forward to seeing how your SIG develops.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Granger,

    I agree with Lisa - I hadn't thought about archiving discussions on my SIG. I haven't done this yet, so it would be a good thing for me to think about over the next couple of day.

    Thanks again,

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa & Jess,

    Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you both. Yes, I highly recommend doing it every so often. It would be such an inconvenience to lose key information that could contribute to the development of your inquiry. How have you found your SIG to be useful to you so far?
    Do you have links up to your SIG’s on your own blogs?

    Best,

    Granger

    ReplyDelete