Sunday 18 October 2015

Module 2: Task 4a - 'Developing Lines of Inquiry'

After a very busy summer and eventually returning briefly back to the UK, I am eagerly looking forward to progressing further into Module 2 and just as keen to uncover how studying through this module will further develop me as professional. I've recently decided to take on a contract where my role is that of Company Manager/Dance Captain which I hope will help me to carry out a lot of my research for my inquiry.

Initially, after reading through the Module Handbook, I thought that it would be rather difficult to think up and decide on a set of specific questions for inquiry immediately. Having to choose to research something that not only will benefit me as a professional in the workplace that I will be able to successfully carry out the tasks needed in order to do so, is something that I must give some thought to.

For some more inspiration, I referred back to what I had written on 'Task 2d'  of Module 1 to see what my lines of inquiry were then. Even though I was working on a different job back in May, I found that my lines of inquiry are similar or have similar links to the questions i'm putting forward for development now.

Initial Questions for Inquiry.


Written below are the questions I had initially thought up, with the aim of developing them for professional inquiry to benefit my work, the work of my fellow colleagues and other industry professionals.



  • What are the distinct outcomes of using positive criticism and negative criticism in my workplace?
Whether or not it be a matter of respect, I find that occasionally using 'negative criticism' to get a message across and obtain better standard of work from my cast members will achieve greater success than using 'encouragement'. It may be useful to find out why this is often the case? Perhaps by doing so, I may discover other vital pieces of information that I could benefit from which would better me as a professional. 
  • How does my own personality affect the quality of work output in my fellow cast members?
As I am now in the job role of Company Manager/Dance Captain in my cast, I am in the position where I am in effect in charge of managing the cast. It could be beneficial to research this with the view to discovering ways that I could better myself as a 'team leader' and better the quality of work produced by my cast. 
  • How does the atmosphere in my working environment affect work output?
I'm of the opinion that atmosphere in the workplace has an effect on the work produced. Perhaps researching into this would eventually provide information that would be of use to produce a continual higher quality level of work?
  • Is there any correlation between the standard of work ethics and the age/place of training of the members of my cast?
Recently I have seen distinct differences in the standard of work ethics and the standard of work of my cast members. It could be useful to find out if the age and location of where my cast members trained has any correlation with the standard of work ethics.  
  • What is the main cause of complacency in my workspace?
When you have been doing more or less the same job for two years in a row, it is understandable that complacency may kick in. However uncovering what the main causes of complacency are in the workplace may lead to finding out methods in which to combat this.
  • Does being amicable with your co-workers produce better work compared to the working with a non-amicable co-worker?
This question may seem like it calls for a straight forward answer, but does it? Not being amicable doesn't necessarily mean not being co-operative. 
  • What is the optimum method to teach a group of with different learning styles?
We can take from the knowledge developed from working through Module 1, that in one room with a group of people in, there will always be a variety of people accustomed to different learning styles. As everyone has a different learning style, it can prove difficult to be able to teach a group of people efficiently and effectively. I could take the views of my fellow cast members and use them to create a modal answer which would improve the way I teach my cast as a whole.
  • How peoples attitudes in my workplace affect the quality levels of work?
There are many different characters/personalities in the workplace, and it seems apparent that attitudes have a a knock on effect to another. For example I often notice that if one member of the team isn't working hard, another member of the team will follow suit and so on. Perhaps researching into this will be beneficial for me and even other managers or team leaders who want to ensure continual high level quality work from their team members/employees. 
  • What are some of the experiences of how performers often continue to work through injuries instead of taking rest or recovery?
This is not an uncommon practice in this industry. However, in my work place I come across this all too often. (I, myself, am guilty of this.)  Colleague's will injure themselves, however have the urgency to try and disregard it and continue on working. It would be very interesting to uncover the reasons behind this. 


Reflections - After group Skype conversation with Adesola.


After presenting a couple of my questions in the group Skype conversation hosted by Adesola, I found that several of my questions that I had initially considered useful for research, written as they were above, were not actually feasible for its practically when taking into account what will be needed for undertaking the research. Looking in forethought, if I had chosen to use some of the questions written as they are above, I would have found myself struggling to cope with the monstrous amount of research necessary to achieve something that may not end up resulting in what I had first envisioned.

Some other points raised from the conversation that I found very beneficial and eye opening to me were, when reading my question to myself, ask what assumptions I am making to myself? As in to say 'how much is this question is me making an observation rather than me wanting to find out more of...'. I.e. a couple of my questions talk about the effects different factors have on the quality of work produced by my cast members. - Does this question assume that I am dissatisfied with the quality of work currently being produce by my cast members or that I am generally keen to find out what the factors do to quality of work produced. The objective is not to just collect evidence to back my opinions but to ask a question of something I want to find more of. This, I found very interesting and I shall definitely be incorporating this point when developing my questions further.

Following on, another point was to take a step back from the assumption and to see if I can see any links between what I am questioning. Doing so could help identify any gaps or key information that you have missed out.

And lastly, not forgetting that what results from the inquiry is to be useful in my practice in the end.

 My next step will be to take on board the points raised from the Skype session with Adesola and alter my questions accordingly to achieve a question that will achieve the best results from inquiry.
I shall be continue to use Reader 4, to help me further develop my questions and present them to my peers to aid the development. Perhaps I would also benefit from expanding my research by not only presenting to questions to members of my workplace but to other people in the industry, people who used to, but are no longer involved in the industry and people who are currently in training - awaiting to commence life as an industry professional. 


I would love to know what any of your views or opinions are of my possible questions listed above?
Do they relate to any of your questions for inquiry?
Have you come across any other research on these topics for enquiry?
Or if there is anything else you would like to comment or share, please feel free to write me a comment in the comment box. 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting questions. I think at the end when you ask for feedback, one of the most useful things will be to find out what research has been done on these topics already. I would think your next step might be looking at this because when you read what other people have said you might well come across a side to the question/field you had not thought of. Or you might find that the research you are reading makes assumptions that are different you yours. Its a great way to look at what you are interested in through new eyes. It sounds like you could look at research into team building, work relations that might not be arts related but might give you a new perspective. Then bring it back to YOUR practice and YOUR 'world' to better understand or think more deeply about your own experiences and professional practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adesola,

      Thank you for reading my post and for your comments. I've taken on board your advice this past week and have begun to discover what research has already been done on these topics. And have already come across several pieces of interest! I shall be writing a post about this on my blog.
      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Granger,

    I think you have some common themes within your lines of inquiry that I find very interesting. Particularly the question, 'Does being amicable with your co-workers produce better work compared to the working with a non-amicable co-worker?' I think would be interesting to explore.

    I feel that this question would vary depending on the workplace you are setting it in. Although I am from a performing arts background, I currently work in a compulsory education secondary school Academy. The idea you have introduced about co-worker relationships is very different in these two settings. I believe that the idea of professionalism is very important in education and performing arts, but they are very different types of professionalism, especially in terms of co-worker relationships. For example, in education you always have to think about addressing and behaving with co-workers in a professional manor. It is not really appropriate to discuss certain things or issues within that work place. Maintaining professional working relationships with colleagues in education can 'limit' the amicable relationships you form.

    I think Adesola makes a good point that researching what you are interested in in a different work context, which could help you see difference between them. As you have expressed an interest in teaching methods in your question, 'What is the optimum method to teach a group of with different learning styles?' it might be interesting to look into co-worker relationships in educational setting further. I know I would find this research interesting and useful.

    Hope this helps!

    Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess.

      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I really appreciate it. I'm glad that you find some of my questions of interest to you. And I'm particularly pleased that you've found an interesting link/connection or better still, a cause to think about the 'co-worker relationships' in the workplace in regards to my question "Does being amicable with your co-workers produce better quality of work with a non-amicable co-worker?'
      You are quite right, that it would vary depending on the workplace I am setting the question in. I think a common point for evaluation with most of my questions was to develop them further having researched what other literature there already is on my topics of inquiry and to research them in a different work context and bring together to see what links/connections/gaps there are between the two different working environments. This is what I have been working on this past week and has definitely proven to be a well worthy exercise!

      Thank you very much for your comment once again!

      All the best!

      Granger.

      Delete
  3. Hi Granger,

    I think you've raised a good question about being a good leader - or figure of authority that can get the task done. There's some good articles about team work and management you could look at. I've found being a professional that can give honest criticism has been something I have had to work on, i always used to sugar coat what i said or tried too hard to be encouraging. I would think about your use of 'negative' though, criticism doesn't have to mean negative. i think other professionals appreciate honesty, even if it takes some getting used to.

    Thanks,

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and for your comment, I really appreciate it! It's always great to see what other people think.

      Absolutely, I share your opinion that criticism doesn't have to mean 'negative'. - So long as the criticism is constructive, in theory, it should have a positive effect on the work produced. In regards to my question on Criticism (positive and negative), I think what could interesting is to see how the use of the two types of criticism compare, especially when trying to motivate a team to produce better work. Do you think that this could be a useful line of inquiry?

      I've been spending time researching on my topics and find my original lines of inquiry changing, developing and even moving away towards different more focused areas. Have you found this is the case with your own?

      Thanks once again for your comment.

      Best,

      Granger

      Delete
  4. Granger - we have had a chance to talk about your inquiry questions 1-1 - and your reflection on them is good - I would now suggest another blog looking at some more focused area - have you had the chance to look at some literature - one of the tasks for Part 4 Lines of Inquiry. I think your questions do show that you are observing what you do and are looking also to improve your practice - which is core to the line of inquiry you do choose. Leadership as Catherine points out might be something to look for in the literature - look at other practitioners - in arts research is also practice-based - so other practitioners also invent styles of working that you might use in your inquiry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,

      Thanks for your comment! I've been dedicating my time this week to researching what other work/studies there are on my topic areas of interest. And it's proven to be very helpful. (I'm currently working on a post for this). In my comment above in reply to Catherine's post, I wrote about how my original lines of inquiry are changing and developing whilst spending time on research. I shall most definitely take your advice and include this in my continual research whilst developing my lines for inquiry.

      Thanks once again,

      Granger

      Delete