Sunday 22 November 2015

Module 2: Task 5a - Professional Ethics

The ethics that may apply within my place of work/professional workplace. 



I should think that there are many elements to ethics that apply within my place of work.
The initial points of ethics that spring to mind when I think of my workplace are:

Working for a large Maritime Corporation I have to consider the non-disclosure agreements where a staff member is not permitted to release sensitive/private/exclusive information to the public in relation to how the company conducts it’s business. I shall have to be very considerate and take great caution in wording my findings in the work place so that I do not breach this contractual agreement.


Secondly, some of the questions relating to my line of inquiry that I may present to my fellow colleagues may naturally ‘create’ assumptions that I have an opinion on their work. I shall have to be considerate when presenting my questions so that this is not the case and so that the interviewees feel comfortable throughout my conduct of research.

There are numerous codes of practice and regulations that guide the setting in the workplace. (Almost too many to list.) However, here are a few that spring to mind:


  • No walking on the stage without shoes.
  • Staff member must know the locations of fire escapes, manual call points and fire extinguishers.
  • Always report an incident or even potential problem to a member of staff. 
  • Staff members must not operate any automation unless authorised to do so.
  • Zero tolerance policy to violence or abuse. 
  • Fire escapes must remain accessible at all times.
  • Members of staff are to be punctual to work at all times. 
  • Members of staff are to complete ILO (times sheet) daily.



Reflection



We can see quite easily from the several bullet points that many of the codes of practice/regulations are inclined towards safety in the workplace.  The other points that make reference to punctuality and conduct for example, hint at discipline within the working environment. It is safe to say that discipline and safety compliment each other very well. Without either of them, I would imagine there to be a much higher rate of incidents/accidents within the workplace. Perhaps I could add discipline in the workplace to an area of research for my line of inquiry?


No comments:

Post a Comment